Sunday, April 6, 2014

European Adventure Take 1


          Well, I’ve been in Vienna for a little over  two hours and so far it’s been memorable: I was the VERY last person off my plane; I caught (like a baby) an elderly woman who was in front of me on the escalator when she fell back on me; I had zero people in line in front of me at customs (read: everyone had already left because I was THE last person off the plane…. and they are really trustworthy in Austria. The customs lady looked at me and then my passport and then gave me a grunt to say you’re through). I’ve paid $65 for a cab ride and $7 for a latte and was a spectator at a marathon which included many children, people on rasor scooters, several men running barefoot (not those weird toe shoes, actually barefoot) MANY women and a few very secure men participating with walking sticks and long strides (read: Phil Dunphy) And a few seniors on bikes.

        Speaking of secure men, I've seen many men wearing headbands. Not just sweatbands but headbands. I can dig it. And a special treat was when I arrived at the hostel, there was a line of 50 or so Italian teenagers checking in before me and 10 or so of their European buddies blowing smoke in my face as I rolled my massive American suitcase on the sidewalk to be put in storage bc check in is at 2:00, and it wasn't even 11 yet. It’s currently 5 am in America. I want to go to sleep but I’m sitting at a café on a street in Vienna, watching a marathon, drinking coffee. OH and I just got weirdly yelled at by a man in German. He stopped at my table and put his face really close to my computer and yelled a kind of siren sound for about 10 seconds. I'm still a little freaked out.








       Other things I’ve seen a lot of so far: pigeons, small cars, the word Wien (I think that’s Vienna in German?), really long words that look fake and really funny English names for food and restaurants like Chicken Run and Kebap Pizza Palace. Also I’ve seen a lot of dogs and children and did I mention the people smoking? Oh and really annoyed people at the airport. (maybe I was looking in the mirror at that moment?)

       What I haven’t seen, on this Sunday morning, is anyone who seems like they are going to church or coming from church. I’m sure they are here somewhere. At least I hope they are. But I’m guessing like most of Europe, the Christ-followers and church-goers are dwindling. 

That’s ultimately why I’m here. I’m on my way to Bulgaria (with a few scenic days in Austria) to share Jesus with a bunch of Europeans through Young Life. I’m always excited for an adventure and a new place, but what I hope to report when my time is over, is that I saw many people come to a saving faith in Jesus.

So please pray for me (doing program, connecting with kids & leaders, helping break down walls) and the many friends from the States (who arrive to Vienna soon) and from all over Europe who will be serving together. Will you pray James 4:8 over the kids whom we will be serving... that they will draw near to God and that we will help them draw near. I cling to his promise that if we draw near to him, He will draw near to us. 

2 comments:

  1. Coco...pop on over to UG it is only a few more hours on a flight! So glad to hear of your adventures what a neat opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love reading your observations!! Will pray for you and the team and the kids

    ReplyDelete